We could not offer the many programs and services to help homeless pets without our many dedicated volunteers! Whether it’s in the capacity of walking dogs, socializing cats, assisting with office work, working at fundraisers, or helping to maintain our facility, volunteers are essential to sustain our shelter operations and support our mission in the community!
- Volunteers must be dependable and physically able to perform the agreed upon duties.
- Willing to treat animals in a humane manner and advocate the HSLC mission and values.
- Willing to learn and follow HSLC policies and procedures.
- All volunteers must sign a release of liability form before volunteering.
- We ask for a minimum of 4 hours per month in any capacity to remain an active volunteer.
- Additional qualifications and/or training may apply for specific roles.
We invite adults, 18 years and older to participate in our volunteer program. The first step begins with an orientation, followed by several training classes.
Children between the ages of 14 and 17 may volunteer at the shelter if they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. Children and parent/guardian must attend required classes. Parents must always accompany their children and are responsible for their safety.
Once you become a registered volunteer, you may volunteer in one or more of these areas and may even find additional ways to help. By sharing your time and talent, you can help improve the lives of animals while applying, developing, and gaining experience in a particular field. And, remember, every dollar we spare goes to animal care!
- Cat Socializing and Enrichment
- Dog Walking, Socializing, and Enrichment
- Animal Handling and Transport for Off-Site Events
- Animal Handlers to Assist Photographer
- Special Animal Care Skills
Shelter Operations and Maintenance
- Cleaning and Laundry
- Administrative or Clerical
- Customer Service or Greeter
- Building and Grounds Maintenance
Community Events & Fundraising
Having a presence at local community events gives us the ability to educate the public about what we do and what we are about. If you are a person who enjoys working with people, has a passion about our mission, and likes to be around people who feel the same, join our Community Events Team! For information on upcoming or past events, refer to our Events.
Educating the public on responsible pet ownership and the humane treatment of animals is an essential part of our mission. While every volunteer can help spread these positive messages, a strong leadership role is needed to help plan, organize, and deliver these messages as opportunities arise such as conducting shelter tours, workshops, classes, and presentations at schools or adult community groups.
As a non-profit organization, we have the same need for professional services as any small business and are always looking for ways to minimize expenses through volunteer efforts. If you are willing to donate your time and talents for a special project or period of time, please talk to us!
- Marketing, Communications, Public Relations
- Graphic Design, Artistic Talents, Printing Services
- Photography, Videography, Multi-media
- Technical or Creative Writing, Story-telling
- Web Site, Social Media,Computer Technology
- Plumbing, Electrical, Construction, Remodeling, Landscaping
- Legal Counsel, Accounting
- Bring your ideas to us!
We offer a variety of tasks and flexibility, including weekday and weekend hours, to fulfill your obligation for court-appointed Community Service. Call (517) 552-8050 ext. 0 to set up a work schedule.
If this is your first time signing into the Volunteer Information Center (VicNet), please click the “Volunteer Login” link below to enter your email and set up a password. In the future, you will need to access VicNet to:
- sign up for a shift for the role or roles you have been trained for
- change your password
- update your personal information
When you click on the link, you will enter your email (the same email you used on your volunteer application.) Your email serves as your user name. Then click on “forget password?” As long as the email address you enter matches the address on your volunteer record, an email with a password link will be sent to you. You can follow this link to set a password to login with. Please note that the password links only remain active for 24 hours. If you click on the link but it has expired, just click the Forget your password? link again to have a new link sent.