We could not offer the many programs and services to help homeless pets without our many dedicated volunteers! Whether it’s in the capacity of walking dogs, socializing cats, assisting with office work, working at fundraisers, or helping to maintain our facility, volunteers are essential to sustain our shelter operations and support our mission in the community!
- Volunteers must be dependable and physically able to perform the agreed upon duties.
- Willing to treat animals in a humane manner and advocate the HSLC mission and values.
- Willing to learn and follow HSLC policies and procedures.
- All volunteers must sign a release of liability form before volunteering.
- We ask for a minimum of 4 hours per month in any capacity to remain an active volunteer.
- Additional qualifications and/or training may apply for specific roles.
We invite adults, 18 years and older to participate in our volunteer program. The first step begins with an orientation, followed by several training classes.
We offer a training program for ages 13-17 consisting of 6 one hour sessions to help youth in caring for our animals. Working with our Education Director, youth will learn different procedures, policies and safety precautions here at the shelter.
Youth must be 13 years old prior to registration. Youth who are turning 18 years old within 6 months of the program may want to wait and attend our adult volunteer orientation. Fees for the 6 week program are $75 which includes a t-shirt and educational materials.
Once a youth has completed all six training classes, they will be able to volunteer at the shelter. Volunteers must sign up for shifts. Volunteer shifts are 2 hours. and they are asked to make a 4 hour per month committment after completing the program.
Look for training dates coming soon on our website.
Children between the ages of 8-12 may volunteer at the shelter if they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. Children and parent/guardian must attend required classes. Parents must always accompany their children and are responsbile for their safety.
Our volunteer program starts with an informational session to help you understand who we are and what our volunteer program has to offer you. Should you decide that you would like to become a volunteer, you will need to take either a dog walking class or cat socialization class or both. Upon completion of training, we do ask for $10 from each participant on their first day of volunteering to help cover our costs of training . The informational session lasts about an hour and a half where we’ll give you an overview of our services, policies, operations and a tour of the shelter.
PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR ORIENTATION SESSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED . WE WILL ONCE AGAIN BE OFFERING SESSIONS SOON SO PLEASE CHECK HERE AGAIN.
Once you become a registered volunteer, you may volunteer in one or more of these areas and may even find additional ways to help. By sharing your time and talent, you can help improve the lives of animals while applying, developing, and gaining experience in a particular field. And, remember, every dollar we spare goes to animal care!
- Cat Socializing and Enrichment
- Dog Walking, Socializing, and Enrichment
- Animal Handling and Transport for Off-Site Events
- Animal Handlers to Assist Photographer
- Special Animal Care Skills
Shelter Operations and Maintenance
- Cleaning and Laundry
- Administrative or Clerical
- Customer Service or Greeter
- Building and Grounds Maintenance
Community Events & Fundraising
Having a presence at local community events gives us the ability to educate the public about what we do and what we are about. If you are a person who enjoys working with people, has a passion about our mission, and likes to be around people who feel the same, join our Community Events Team! For information on upcoming or past events, refer to our Events.
Educating the public on responsible pet ownership and the humane treatment of animals is an essential part of our mission. While every volunteer can help spread these positive messages, a strong leadership role is needed to help plan, organize, and deliver these messages as opportunities arise such as conducting shelter tours, workshops, classes, and presentations at schools or adult community groups.
As a non-profit organization, we have the same need for professional services as any small business and are always looking for ways to minimize expenses through volunteer efforts. If you are willing to donate your time and talents for a special project or period of time, please talk to us!
- Marketing, Communications, Public Relations
- Graphic Design, Artistic Talents, Printing Services
- Photography, Videography, Multi-media
- Technical or Creative Writing, Story-telling
- Web Site, Social Media,Computer Technology
- Plumbing, Electrical, Construction, Remodeling, Landscaping
- Legal Counsel, Accounting
- Bring your ideas to us!
We offer a variety of tasks and flexibility, including weekday and weekend hours, to fulfill your obligation for court-appointed Community Service. Call (517) 552-8050 ext. 0 to set up a work schedule.